What is functional rhinoplasty, why is it done and what is the process?
Description of functional rhinoplasty:
- Functional rhinoplasty is a physiological surgery performed simultaneously with rhinoplasty surgery to enable the nose to perform its functional functions better.
- This surgery is performed to improve the very important functions of the nose such as breathing, smell, and warming and humidifying the inhaled air.
- The process after functional rhinoplasty surgery is extremely comfortable and the patient can return to his normal daily life immediately afterwards.
Advantages of functional rhinoplasty surgery
- Better breathing is achieved through the nose. With this surgery, the comfort of life is improved by correcting the cartilage, bone curvatures and flesh growths in the nose.
- It is useful against sleep apnea and snoring. Snoring can be reduced with more physiological breathing during sleep. A functional surgery can provide significant benefits in improving the person’s snoring as well as having a deeper and more comfortable sleep.
- It contributes to improving the quality of life. As we know, the most basic need of life is to breathe. The correct functioning of an organ in the nose, where this function first begins, provides much more positive contributions to the person than one can imagine.
How to decide on functional rhinoplasty surgery?
- Talking to the first patient and intranasal examination. This stage consists of a detailed evaluation of the patient’s complaints and endoscopic examination by the relevant physician. Meanwhile, in addition to the anatomical examination of the patient, the intranasal physiological conditions are also evaluated in detail with the help of an endoscope.
- In some cases, more detailed imaging examinations may be requested by the physician.
What is done in the operation and how does the process work afterwards?
- Although the surgery varies depending on the anatomical defect in the person’s nose, it takes an average of 30-45 minutes in addition to the rhinoplasty surgery alone.
- Generally, very thin silicone is placed in the nose, which is completely removed after 2-3 days, and the patient is prescribed sea water and nasal moisturizers.
- It is generally recommended that the patient use these sprays for 6-8 weeks. There may be crusts in the nose for a few weeks after the surgery, but these will heal in a short time and the patient will start to see the real positive effects of the surgery after 6-8 weeks.
Is functional rhinoplasty operation risky?
All surgeries may have some minor risks. However, with today’s anesthesia and surgery technology, this is very low in experienced hands. Although rare, these are general operation risks such as bleeding and infection, and their treatments are quite simple and they are not life-threatening risks.