What is Ultrasonic Piezo Rhinoplasty? Fundamentals and Technical Aspects
Ultrasonic piezo rhinoplasty is a method developed in rhinoplasty surgeries in recent years. With this method, the nasal bones can be shaped with the device’s help, and their angles and positions can be changed. If you are unsatisfied with your nose and are considering rhinoplasty surgery, it is much easier to get the nose you dream of with today’s techniques.
This method has been a revolutionary development in rhinoplasty surgeries. In traditional rhinoplasty surgeries, this bone shaping is performed with hand rasp and bone cutters called osteotomes. In the past years, performing osteotomy (bone shaping) with bone cutters was the weakest point of the surgery and one of the most common causes of revisions. In rhinoplasty surgeries, it is often necessary to cut the bones on the side wall of the nose and change their angles. Ultrasonic methods can make excellent work and bone shaping very close to the surgical designs planned before surgery for all these procedures.
Ultrasonic methods only affect the bone but do not affect the vessels, soft tissues, mucosa, or cartilage tissues next to the bone.
Since the device’s operating frequencies are only for cutting and shaping the bone, there is no risk of damage to the surrounding tissues. It can offer a much faster healing opportunity with less edema and bruising than the classical method.
Anatomy of the nose:
Understanding the anatomy of the nose is critical to the success of rhinoplasty surgery. The nose has a complex structure as both an aesthetic and functional organ. Here are the main features of nasal anatomy:
1. Nasal Bone Skeleton:
The nose is a structure consisting of bone in the upper 1/3 part and cartilage in the lower 2/3 part. The bones in the upper part combine with the bones from the lower part of the face and forehead. These bones, which form the nasal skeleton, provide the shape and durability of the nose.
2. Cartilage Nose Structures:
These cartilages in the middle and lower part of the nose give the flexibility and shape of the nose. These cartilages comprise one single and middle-upper lateral cartilage and two crescent-shaped alar cartilages united in the middle. The alar cartilages are located under the wings of the nose in a half-moon shape, and the shape of the wings and tip of the nose are determined.
3. Internal Structure of the Nose:
There are structures called septum and concha inside the nose. The septum is the structure in the center of the nose, consisting of cartilage in the front and bone in the back, and it separates both nasal cavities from each other. Concha is an erectile structure containing glands that regulate the airflow and humidity of the nose. The placement of the septum and turbinates plays a vital role in nasal physiology and functions.
4. Muscles and Soft Tissues:
The nose consists of small muscles and soft tissues under the skin. These structures are in close contact with the subcutaneous tissues.
The nose is a structure of cosmetic importance and the organ where a vital event such as breathing begins. Therefore, it is necessary to understand its anatomical structure in detail and to preserve or improve its functions during surgery.
What is Ultrasonic Piezo Rhinoplasty, and what is not?
Ultrasonic Piezo Rhinoplasty is a method whose success depends on the experience and skills of the surgeon. The device can be considered as a hand tool and cannot perform the surgery alone.
Ultrasonic Piezo Rhinoplasty offers many different advantages and some disadvantages compared to traditional rhinoplasty methods:
Advantages of Ultrasonic Methods:
1. More Precise Osteotomy: Ultrasonic Piezo Rhinoplasty allows for a more planned and precise cutting of the bones of the nasal side wall and nasal root as if drawn in pencil. This makes the surgery more predictable and controlled.
2. Millimetric Planning: With the filing tips of the devices, the height of the nasal ridge can be adjusted millimetrically according to the patient’s expectations. This allows for a flatter and higher nasal ridge in male patients and a more curved and feminine nasal ridge in women.
3. No Damage to Surrounding Tissues: Ultrasonic nasal tips do not work when it comes to the surrounding soft tissues, mucosa, muscles, nerves, and vessels and therefore do not cause any damage. This contributes to the reduction of postoperative edema and bruising.
Disadvantages of Ultrasonic Technique:
1. Heating of the Device Tip: The tips of ultrasonic devices can get hot, so it is necessary to wet them constantly during operation. It must be worked away from the skin and subcutaneous tissue with a careful nurse assistant. Otherwise, burns may occur on the skin.
2. Extra Operation Cost: Various trademarks of Ultrasonic Piezo Rhinoplasty devices of different qualities and prices. This causes the surgeon to depend on both the device and nurse assistance during surgery. All this means that the costs of the surgery increase.
How can I find the right surgeon for Ultrasonic Piezo Rhinoplasty:
While Ultrasonic Piezo Rhinoplasty offers a more precise and controlled surgery than traditional methods, the skill of the surgeon and the quality of the device directly affect the success of this technique. Therefore, it is crucial for patients who prefer this method to choose an experienced surgeon.
Here are some essential criteria to consider when deciding on ultrasonic surgery:
1. Surgeon’s Accreditation and Experience: The surgeon’s qualification and experience significantly impact your surgical results. It is vital to choose an accredited surgeon specializing in this field. Consulting more than one surgeon and getting an online consultation will help you make the right decision.
2. Evaluation of Surgeon’s Previous Cases: You can understand the surgeon’s skills by examining before and after photos and videos of the surgeon’s previous operations.
3. Patient Comments: Reaching the comments and experiences of patients who have had this surgery before will give you valuable information about how the surgeon does his job.
4. Discussing the Surgery Details: Discussing all the details and establishing open communication with your surgeon before the surgery is imperative.
5. Cost and Financial Status: In addition to an experienced surgeon, the up-to-date technology used increases the cost of the surgery. In addition, the quality of the hospital where the surgery will be performed, anesthesia, and other health professionals are also value factors that affect the cost.
Making a comprehensive evaluation by considering all parameters such as cost, surgeon’s experience, communication skills, and the quality of the hospital will increase the success of your surgery. In this process, the crucial point is to clearly determine your surgical goals and expectations and find the most suitable surgical option.
What is the price of Ultrasonic Piezo Rhinoplasty ?
The living standards of the country and the city where the surgery will be performed have an essential place in determining the surgery prices. In addition, the experience of the surgeon who will perform the surgery and the quality of the hospital and team where the surgery will be performed are other factors that affect the surgery cost.
The price of this surgery varies between 2500 and 5500 Euros on average in Turkey. The prices mentioned above are average prices, and there may be prices above or below this. These prices are valid for patients who will have their first surgery, and the prices of revision surgeries are about 50% above this average.
How is the Healing Process of Ultrasonic Surgery?
When nose jobs are performed with ultrasonic methods, less edema and bruising are seen compared to traditional methods. In addition, since the surrounding soft tissues are better protected, they show a faster recovery period.
Early period (first two weeks) healing process:
In our clinic;
– We remove the silicones in the nose 2-3 days after the surgery.
– On the sixth day, we remove the plasters and splints on the back of the nose. After an average of 6 days after the operation, we can send the person to their country.
– After this period, we can carry out all follow-ups of our patients with online consultations. Therefore, there is no need for our patient to come to Istanbul and reach us again for any control purposes.
After an average of 2 weeks after the operation, when looking at the patient’s face, edema and bruises disappear entirely so that many people do not realize that they have undergone surgery. However, the final form of the nose, which we call micro-edema reduction, can continue for several months.
Late recovery (2 weeks to 6th month after surgery) process:
After ultrasonic piezo rhinoplasty surgeries, we obtain the final results after 4-6 months for patients who will undergo the first surgery. Our recommendations in this period:
– First six weeks: Protecting the facial area from the sun and sleeping in the supine position
– Not wearing glasses and not sleeping face down: We recommend this for 4-6 months.
– Avoid any trauma on the nose and stay away from activities that will cause this. Because in the newly operated nose, while the bones and cartilage are shaped and set in place, any impact can cause deformities in the nose.
Ultrasonic rhinoplasty are a method that has developed and become widespread in recent years and has a great positive effect on the results of surgery. However, this method is only a hand tool and the experience of the surgeon using it is the most important factor in the success of the surgery, and choosing the right surgeon is the most important key to achieving the nose you dream of.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ):
Is Ultrasonic Piezo Rhinoplasty Better?
With Ultrasonic Piezo Rhinoplasty methods, reshaping the nose can be done more as planned, therefore, there is less tissue damage and edema. Consequently, it is a method that promises better results when used in experienced hands.
Is Ultrasonic Piezo Rhinoplasty Safe?
The device is a very safe method when used correctly by an experienced surgeon. As with any technology, this method requires experience. When the bone area is removed from the skin, and the area is prevented from heating due to the tip of the device, much more planned bone shaping can be achieved.
Is Ultrasonic Piezo Rhinoplasty Cheaper?
It is not cheap; it is a more expensive technology. It has a slightly higher cost because it requires a higher price than bone cutting with a conventional hammer and bone shaping with hand files.
Is Ultrasonic Piezo Rhinoplasty Painly and Heavy?
Bone shaping and incision procedures performed with Ultrasonic Piezo Rhinoplasty methods do not damage the surrounding soft tissues. Since the method works without damaging the nerves and small blood vessels, postoperative edema and pain are generally less common.
Is Rhinoplasty Surgery Safe in Turkey?
Turkey is one of the countries where rhinoplasty surgeries are performed most frequently in the world. Since the primary source of income of the country is tourism, there is a high-security environment. In addition to the quality of physicians and auxiliary health personnel in Turkey, hospitals’ technical and equipment capacities are also at world standards. Therefore, it is possible to have a rhinoplasty surgery in Turkey, which offers a very high level of security.
How long should I stay in Turkey after rhinoplasty?
After the surgery, it is generally recommended to arrange 5-8 days between your arrival and return. Usually, on the 5th or 6th day of the surgery, your splints and plasters on the back of your nose are removed. After this, you can quickly return to your country. Since the follow-up and controls of these surgeries can be done online, you do not need to come back again for control purposes.
What are the Risks of Ultrasonic Piezo Rhinoplasty?
Ultrasonic methods are ultimately a technological device. During the process of shaping the bones with this device, if an inexperienced surgeon or a correct and appropriate nurse assistant is not provided, there is a risk of the device escaping into the surrounding tissues and damaging them, the possibility of the device heating up. The area should be washed with water to avoid any skin burns from this heating. When all these are applied, skin and bone burns are complications that are almost never seen.
What are the Disadvantages of Ultrasonic Piezo Rhinoplasty?
Ultrasonic methods slightly increase the cost and price of the surgery. In addition, for the method to succeed, a surgeon and team with experience in this device are required. When the area is not sufficiently dissected from the skin or when the heating of the tip of the device is not sufficiently reduced, there is a risk of burns in the bone or surrounding tissues. However, all these risks are infrequent when the device is properly calibrated and used.
Who is the best ultrasonic piezo rhinoplasty surgeon in Turkey?
Prof. Dr. Seçkin Ulusoy is a surgeon who has successfully performed over 4000 cosmetic rhinoplasty surgeries for over 20 years. He is also an ear-nose-throat specialist who is highly recognized by scientific circles all over the world for his academic and scientific studies. He performs his nose job surgeries in the most central hospitals of Istanbul with surgical and operating teams.